Share this page:

Can Resort Workers Use EHIC After Brexit?

01 Mar 2019

Will British resort workers still be able to access health care with the European Health Insurance Card after Brexit? If you are planning to work abroad in an EU country after 29 March 2019, when the UK is scheduled to leave the EU, you may be wondering whether your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will be valid.

Currently the EHIC currently entitles British resort workers to state-provided medical treatment if they fall ill or have an accident in an EU country.

EHIC cards cover pre-existing medical conditions as well as emergency care. If the UK leaves with no deal, your EHIC will no longer be valid.

Last week, the UK government issued detailed advice on health care when travelling abroad.If there is no deal, the advice for those travelling on or after 29 March 2019 to EU countries as well as Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, is to buy travel insurance to cover health care "just as you would if visiting a non-EU country".

The government says it is "seeking agreements with countries on health care arrangements for UK nationals after 29 March", but there is no such agreement in place with any of the countries yet.

If there is a deal the UK and the EU have reached agreement that there should be a transition period between 29 March 2019 and 31 December 2020 to allow more time for negotiations on the future UK-EU relationship. During this time, all EU law would continue to apply in the UK. That would mean that citizens would have exactly the same rights and guarantees as before - so, you'd still be able to use your card.

View full BBC article

Copyright ©2006 - 2022. 247 Media Ltd.

Recruiting now...


Post your job online in 3 easy steps and start receiving applications today.

Copyright ©2006 - 2022. 247 Media Ltd.